Thursday, October 9, 2014

Back with a coconut


I used to buy coconut for Rs.30 back in India. Last to last weekend at the Farmers Market, I saw coconuts for the first time here in Chicago- neatly cut and wrapped in cling wrap. As soon as I saw one, I wanted to buy it and seeing the price tag of $5, I gave up the idea equally quickly. On a student budget, this felt too extravagant.

Eventually ended up ordering box of Coco vita on Amazon and I am sipping on coconut water from a tetra-pack while I write this.

I remember the first time I got the concept of nariyal paani and malai was from the movie Baazigar when Kajol asks Shahrukh to get nariyal and then he throws and cracks it open on a thug’s helmet. I found part of the scene here. How I would wonder about green coconut back in 1995. I had never seen one for real. At my Nanaji’s place there used to be a coconut tree and as a child I used to look forward to going there during vacations to see if we could get any green coconuts. I think a part of the child in me died when Maamu told me its khajoor ka tree and not coconut. It may sound dramatic but I was in love with coconuts J

One of my fondest memories of coconut water is from not very long ago.  My friend had been m.i.a. all day after promising to meet me and all of my 973830309 calls and texts went unanswered. Given my punctuality, I was extremely angry and worried and I knew that I am not going to let him live in peace for this. After what felt like a lifetime or precisely 58697659 hours, the said friend knocks on the door with two fat green coconuts. I burst out laughing. I did give him an earful but I swear it wasn’t a fraction of what I could’ve said. The coconuts saved him! Such is my love for coconuts..

No comments:

Post a Comment